Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

Default REQ: Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
> pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
> know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.
>
> TIA

Cub's got those on sale for $2.58/lb this week, along with chuck blades
and eye rounds. From the chuck it will need moist heat.

You don't want pot roast, cut it in chunks and make stew. Pot roast in
another form. :-) How about Beef Bourguignonne? Stewed beef with
red wine. Cook the beef chunks and freeze in broth for later
transformation into something like -- beef stew, beef in gravy over rice
or noodles, fake stroganoff. (See a pattern here?)

http://tinyurl.com/e4ahe
EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)

Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
2 cans Golden mushroom soup
1 env. Lipton onion soup
1 c. burgundy wine
1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew