Posted to rec.food.cooking
L'Espérance

Default REQ: Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:14:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
> Pawlowski?

>>>Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

>>Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
>>There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come
>>over and try my brisket sometime.

> I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.
>
> I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
> associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
> etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
> best one for the cut of meat I bought.

There are a couple of ways I would do this cut of meat. As you
mentioned, pot roast style with the meat on the trinity sans potatoes
and cooked low and slow would give good results. Pressure cooking the
meat will give equally moist and tender results in a lot less time.
Either way the trinity is important for flavour and moisture. I
wouldn't add potatoes to the pot roast until near the end of the
roasting. Let them roast until cooked through then raise the temp to brown.