Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default REC: Vegetarian Chili

This was one of the dishes we did in class today.
It's diet-friendly and quite tasty.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Lean Star Lentil Chili

As any Texan will tell you, we have the fastest horses and the prettiest
women, make the best BBQ and the hottest chili. Here's a meatless version
that ranks right up there with the best of them.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Lentils
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Meatless, Low Fat,
Slow cook, Simple - Easy, Soup, Main Dish

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup onion ; diced small
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic ; minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper ; to taste, for heat
5 cups water
1 cup dry brown lentils ; rinsed, picked
1 1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar

-= Instructions =-
Gently sauté the onion with the oil in a soup pot for two minutes. Add the
garlic for about 30 seconds, then the spices for an additional 30 seconds,
stirring. Add the water, lentils and tomato puree. Bring to a boil, reduce
to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, skimming any surface foam as
necessary and stirring occasionally. Add salt and sugar and cook until
lentils are tender (5-10 minutes).

Puree half of the lentils and re-combine all. Check for seasoning; add
additional water if needed.

Serve with corn tortilla chips. Put a bit of chopped onion or Pico de Gallo
on top for garnish.

Each (3/4 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 132, FatCals: 20, total Fat: 2g
SatFat: 0g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 1g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 370mg, K: 521mg
TotCarbs: 22g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 4g
NetCarbs: 12g, Protein: 8g

Adapted from recipe by Chef Terry Conlan of Lake Austin Spa.

** Recipe at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160492 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh