Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Trix

Default Thanks for everything, Carl, but...

I have been using Ed Wood's instructions for liquid starter. When I
activate I fill the liquid starter (which is already at a 1/2 a quart
level) with warm water then split them into two 1 qt jars and let them
sit an hour. One goes in the fridge and the other I feed and let proof
for 12 hours. So, I've been effectively washing it every time I use
it. I had some as a sponge starter then changed to liquid. I have never
tried the dough ball method. Anyway, all may be here or there.

I grew up in SF Bay area and have yet to produce anything as pleasantly
sour as I recall Larabaru sourdough french bread. The breads are good
but not really sour.

Being new here I am unfamiliar with your abbreviations...UB...etc.

In the summer I tried making my own starter from rye/water. It seemed
more sour, but then I wasn't really great at being diligent with the
timing. I tried to bake a loaf and all I got was a dense brick that was
impossible to slice. The starter started to smell foul...so I tossed
it. Then got Ed's SF starter. I've been successfully turning out
sourdough for a few months now....albiet with little to no sour flavor.

I have found that I needed more flour than I had thought I needed for
the loaves to hold their shapes and rise well when left free form
without a bread pan.

I have wondered if it would help to add a little vinegar to the
dough...but I doubt they did that with the old sourdoughs in San
Francisco.