Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Anon

Default Falafel

I've had it in restaurants as gyros. It is very tasty. Can it be bought
already mixed so I could cook it at home? Too many ingredients for me to
make.

Anon

"Andrea2" > wrote in message
news Falafel

1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and well drained
1 cup dried shelled fava beans, soaked overnight and well drained
1/2 cup garbanzo flour, can substitute whole wheat flour
1/4 cup fine bulgur wheat
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Oil for deep frying

Run the drained garbanzo beans and fava beans through the fine blade
on your meat grinder or in your food processor. Add more water if
necessary; mixture should be thick but not dry. Blend in all the
remaining ingredients and let the mixture stand at least an hour or
store in refrigerator for several days.

Form into little patties 1/3 inch thick and 1 1/2 inches round. Or,
you can
form them into balls. Deep-fry in oil until brown and crunchy on the
outside, about 4 minutes.

I make medium size patties and pan fry it in oil and eat with Greek
style salad. Could be used in sandwiches or Gyros.

Andrea2