Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to put on the side?

On 25-Jan-2006, "Jude" > wrote:

> I'm not findinf a lot of inspiration for dinner tonight. I'm in the
> mood for a nic thick hot soup, so I'm going to do split pea with
> homemade croutons on top. I'm tired of the sup/salad combo; we've had
> several big yummy salads this week. What should I serve alongside?

<SNIP>
> Maybe some kind of barley pilaf with stock and nuts would go well. Hm
> Help me out here!

1 Cup cooked barley or wheatberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pieces about twice the size of barley/wheatberries)
1/4 cup diced celery (pieces about twice the size of barley/wheatberries)
1/4 cup diced red onion (optional, they've been too "hot" lately)
sometimes I add red/yellow/green bell pepper, sometimes not
vinaigrette to moisten (I prefer raspberry but balsamic or others will do)
toss to combine, chill on top shelf of 'fridge for an hour to let
ingredients become acquainted

2 serviings; easily doubled or otherwise scaled up.