Posted to alt.food.sushi
George

Default ankimo

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>> We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
>>> scallions on top.
>>> Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
>>> in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.

>> Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni -
>> it was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the
>> size of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.

> Only 3 slices? I hope it was a freebie. When I've had ankimo as an
> appetizer,
> its about 5-6 sliced for about $6. The other day it was free for me, as
> the
> secondary itamae know how much I love ankimo. When we have it as sushi,
> its about
> 1 1/2 slices per gunkan for $3.50.

I really don't know what the price for a normal serving would have been
or even if we were charged for the portion we got, and since it was the
first time, we had nothing to compare its quality with. First time for
shiso, too - love to try new things. I only know that we were both sorry
to see it gone and savored each morsel as it disappeared.

I know when I go in, my wallet will be flatter coming out and if I'm not
satisfied, I probably won't go back. Hasn't happened yet.

--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"