Posted to sci.agriculture,sci.skeptic,alt.food.vegan
David Hare-Scott

Default Coming Soon to a Paddy Near You: Frankenrice !

"rick" > wrote in message news:EbUzf.6837>
==========================
> So, as a typical 'expert' here on usenet you'll dispute things
> that you know nothing about, and won't even bother to research.
> You must be veg*n, they're the willfully ignorant ones on most
> subjects.

You made a claim that I hadn't heard anything about so I asked you to give
me a reference for it. Thankyou.

> "...The potato contains a naturally occurring chemical that's
> quite toxic, called a glycoalkyloid. Those glycoalkyloids in some
> potatoes, as a matter of fact, have caused severe human
> poisonings and near death. When you breed potatoes, it's possible
> to breed in high levels of that toxin into a potato. And as a
> matter of fact, there are a number of breeds of potatoes that
> have high levels. Fortunately, they did not make the marketplace
> for that reason.
> Another great example of the risks of traditional breeding is
> celery. Celery naturally contains a chemical, when it hits
> sunlight, becomes toxic. There was a case in California where a
> new variety of celery was bred. It had, unknown to the people who
> bred it, high levels of this toxin in it. It was planted, and the
> workers who harvested this came out with a very severe skin rash.
> So normal kind of breeding can produce risks, just as any other
> genetic or other kinds of breeding can produce risks..."
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/etc/script.html
>
> If you were really interested in knowledge, you could look things
> up, but it appears you just want to remain willfully ignorant.

I am interested in you making a case to support your assertions. There are
quite enough crazys about who will claim anything to win an argument, I have
no idea if you fit that description or not, so why would I spend time
looking for what could be a chimera? Now that you have supplied some
material I have something to go on.

David