Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Do poppy seeds go bad?

CookieChick wrote:
> I have a huge, open container of poppy seeds that has to be about 5 years
> old. I was going to try and bake muffins with them. Anyone think they are
> still good?

Because poppy seeds have a rather high oil content they have a rather
short shelf life, they go rancid rather quickly... toss those into the
compost heap rather than using them and wasting some rather expensive
ingredients... poppy seeds are rather cheap (about $6/lb).

Penzeys:
Poppy Seed
Sweet blue or white poppy seeds are used in baking, on bread, rolls,
muffins, and cake. Also great for fruit salad dressing. Poppy seeds
have a high, flavorful oil content. Refrigerate or freeze during summer
months.
Holland blue poppy seed is the most famous poppy of all, with "A-1"
being the top grade seed. A smoky blue-gray seed with an unparalleled
flavor and sweetness, it is prized by every Gramma who has ever baked a
stollen.
White poppy seeds are used in Indian cooking adding thickness, texture
and flavor to sauces. Less sweet than blue poppy, they are added to
lentil and rice dishes.
---

Sheldon