Old 19-01-2006, 05:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Curry con Chris

Chris J. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:51:14 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
wrote:

I've been reading up on the many health benefits of
curry, in particular combined with cauliflower, as seen
in this link:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...1518-4976r.htm

So, I thought I'd share what I came up with for my dinner
tonight.

Ingredients
1 pound frozen diced cauliflower & broccoli
1/4 pound frozen chopped spinach
1/4 pound cooked shredded pork, or chicken, or turkey, or
beef, or meat of your choice. (optional)
5 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 bundle (about 9) green onions (chopped)
1 cup canned chopped ortega chili peppers
1 can diced tomato
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
a 1 1/4 ounce package of curry powder, containing tumeric
and other spices. You might want to use less, but I like
my curry with a kick. 1 teaspoon sumak (optional)
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (you can use plain
yogurt as a substitute, or go half and half, which is
what I did.).

soy sauce to taste.

Preparation:
Put the frozen vegetables in a shallow dish or large
plate, and microwave on high until cooked. Drain if
needed.

Put the olive oil in the pan, and use it to saute the
garlic to a golden brown, adding the green onions once
the garlic is almost done. When the onions are done, add
the microwaved vegetables with the heat on high. When the
pan is very hot, add a few dashes of soy sauce to flavor
and brown them. I use low sodium, but use what suits you.
This will be the source of the vast majority of the salt
in the meal.

Once the veg are browned, add the canned chilis and
chopped tomatoes and cook until they are hot. Then add
your curry powder (some can be added later if needed, so
you might want to try half the first time). Then add the
mustard powder, sumak, and stir again. Then add the sour
cream and/or yogurt, and once hot add the cooked shredded
or cubed meat. This dish also is fine without the meat.

Simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the
final ingredient (black pepper) once on the plate.

This sounds delicious.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh