Posted to rec.food.cooking
J. Eric Durbin

Default poaching chicken

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:09:57 -0500, biig > wrote:

> I have a couple of boneless and skinless chicken breasts I'm going to
>poach for salad or sandwiches. Would you season the liquid or wait and
>season the finished chicken. I thought I'd use chicken broth for the
>liquid....tia....Sharon

Depending on the final dish you could season the broth for Chinese
(green onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce), Mexican (cumin, chilis or
chili powder, cumin, onion, garlic), or traditional American/European
(garlic, carrot, celery or celery salt, onion, and, if your store
carries them, parsnips).

One tip I picked up from one of the cooking shows, can't remember
which, that has always produced moist, non-stringly poached chicken
was to add all the ingredients to the cold broth or water and slowly
bring it all up to a very low simmer, partially covered. Never allow
it to boil which causes the protein in the chicken to seize up and
become tough, dry, and stringy. Cook for 20 -30 minutes depending on
the size of the chicken cut.