Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Glorfindel

Default If I Had $40 Million

John Wesley wrote:
> In article >, says...

>>SlipperySlope wrote:

>><snip>

>>>*All* you need to know is they have *never* adopted out any pets.
>>>They don't believe in it; they believe in killing them all.

>>That is absolutely false, as reading any of their literature makes
>>clear,

> Thier record is clear. They Euthanise 85% that come in. Our local
> Animal Control has much a better record than that.

Which animals are turned in/picked up by your local shelter vs those
turned in to PETA? PETA is not primarily a shelter organization;
that is not their main purpose.

>>and their track record with rescued animals. You are either
>>grossly ignorant or deliberately lying.

>>The ultimate goal of animal rights organizations is indeed
>>to end the pet trade and allow animals to live free of human
>>domination,

> They would get deseases and die.

So do humans. Do you approve of human slavery? (And, BTW,
do you have any evidence that human slaves in general
receive better health care than free humans?)

>>which is a form of slavery.

<snip>

>>But that *never*
>>involves killing of existing animals

> Yes it does. Volunteers were convicted of smothering puppies in
> Virginia.

I don't believe it.

<snip>

>>, except in cases of
>>euthanasia where death is to the benefit of the animal. It
>>*always* means preventing existing "pet" animals from breeding
>>new generations. PETA has much in its publications about
>>proper care of existing companion animal, including an entire
>>book Ingrid Newkirk has written about care of companion cats.
>>PETA is also involved in a variety of outreach and rescue
>>programs for companion animals.

> PETA is evil. They kill pets.

No, but they may euthanize animals in appropriate circumstances,
as do *all* animal-care organizations. If you disapprove of
PETA's criteria for euthanization, then criticize the guardians
who turned in animals to them.

> They want to turn the world vegetarian.

Absolutely. So do I.

> That is there real goal. They care nothing about pets.

They actually care a great deal about companion animals, as well as
all animals. One of their latest publications details a number
their programs, which include mobile spay/neuter vans, a program
to provide warm doghouses and bedding to outdoor dogs of poor
people, an article on the bad aspects of so-called "no kill
shelters", their efforts in helping companion animals during
Katrina, their program against mulesing sheep, a program to
help working bullocks, donkeys, camels, ponies and horses in
India with vet and welfare supplies, and several pages on good products
for companion animals, including Newkirk's book on _250 Things
You Can Do To Make Your Cat Adore You_.

Why don't you criticize factory farm organizations? They kill
100 per cent of the animals they hold, one way or the other,
after keeping them in very inhumane conditions.