Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C.

Default Pizza/Baking Stone

Jude wrote:

> Bob Myers wrote:
> Re-heating pizza is one of the main reasons God gave
> > us microwave ovens...:-)

> I disagree.
>
> The nuke turns pizza crust into a soggy wet dishsponge! I like to heat
> my pizza in the toasterr oven; it gets hot in 5 minutes in the small
> space.

A toaster oven does indeed work well, but so does a microwave. The key
to successful microwaving of leftover pizza is the elevate the pizza
slice on a suitable rack (plenty available for microwaves) so that the
steam does not build up under the crust.

> The secret to grest NY style crust is the double bake...think about it.
> NY pizza places make their pies, then they sit until you order a slice.
> The slice goes into the hot pizza oven and the crust gets that good
> crispiness so you can fold it neatly in half. Yum!

I do the double bake a bit differently. I brush the otherwise bare crust
with olive oil and then pre bake for a few minutes until the top starts
to get slight brown spots. I then top the pizza and return it to the
oven for long enough to melt and slightly brown the cheese. This olive
oil brush and pre bake prevents much sauce from soaking into the crust
to the crust is never soggy.

Pete C.