Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

Default Pizza/Baking Stone

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in message
> Daughters gave me a pizza/baking stone for Christmas and it did not
> bring cleaning instructions. The instructions did say to "cure" it by
> bringing it to 450 degrees F several times and to coat it with oil
> during the curing process. Well, I finally made my first pizza
> yesterday and reheated the rest a short time ago. The problem now is
> that I am having a heck of time trying to take out some burnt cheese.
> Is there an easy way or a proper way to remove the burnt cheese from
> the stone without having to scratch it?

I bake my pizzas on a stone at at least 475 deg. F; leave the
stone in, sans pizza, for a while at such temperatures (or even
leave the thing in, if your racks will stand it, during an oven clean
cycle) and burnt anything - cheese, crust, sauce - will become
charcoal, and easily scraped/brushed off. The stone is NOT going
to look pretty after a few uses, anyway. It is going to be dark,
even black, and that's a GOOD thing.

RE-heating pizza is not a job for a stone, though; presumably,
the crust is already nicely browned, and doesn't need any more
of THAT. Re-heating pizza is one of the main reasons God gave
us microwave ovens...:-)

Bob M.