Peggy Sullivan

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

jmk wrote:

> On 3/3/2004 12:09 PM, Peggy Sullivan wrote:
>> jmk wrote:

>>> The folks at Skippy. I e-mailed them and they left me a phone
>>> message that same day.
>>>

>> I'm confused then. I have emailed them myself to see what they have to
>> say.
>>
>> If what you say is true then the statement on their web site about
>> Skippy being a trans fat free food is false and the scientists at the
>> USDA that did the study described at:
>>
>> http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm
>>
>> are badly wrong, as are all the other websites I found that also
>> refer to the same results.
>>
>> Perhaps however, the 0.8 grams (or something) is the quantity of
>> hydrogenated oils added -- almost all of which are not trans fats
>> according to the USDA study.
>>
>> Peggy

> Right. That's why I e-mailed them. It says 0 but I think that it means
> "less than 1." I wanted to confirm that. Anyway, I like natural peanut
> butter and it is readily available so that is what I get. It was more a
> curiosity thing that anything.

As I said above, I emailed them also, and finally got a reply, copied
below, that does not support your .8 g figure, but instead refers
to the work described at the USDA site mentioned above. The numbers
in that work imply that you would need to consume 20 or more 18 oz
jars of Skippy to ingest one gram of trans fats. So as I said earlier,
trans fats are not the reason to avoid Skippy, although taste preferences
or the sugar content may be.

Here is the email I got from Skippy: