Posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Default cake decorating questions

chembake wrote:

> >Peter Reinhart in conversation is absolutely one of the most
> >authoritative bread bakers I've ever met. His books are very accessible.

> This is a must for home bakers....but practicing bakers in the industry
> look at his books with ....disinterests...Its not worth
> owning<grin>...unless you are newbie in bakery trade?

You act as if you know it all and have no reason to seek the knowledge
of others, or no need for books as reference.

Even the most experienced scientist keeps books written by others on
their shelf for reference and guidence. James Watson kept a copy of
the Maniatus molecular biology "bible" (Molecular cloning: a laboratory
manual) above his lab bench for reference.

> .Another thing is he try to explain bakery science in an amateurish
> manner.
> For me he is overrated as a baker.....but just a smart fellow( IIRC
> his background was photography ) that is why he really know how to
> present his limited skills in a colorful book at the right time.......
>
> > Hamelman,

> >Practical information and a bit of science from a man who works for a
> >flour company. He knows what he's talking about.

> Now this guy I respect.....he is really a qualified baker like Gesslen
> and he knows what he is talking about.. and at the same time knows
> how to do it properly....
> It is not surprising....I know many practicing bakers have his popular
> book ...and continuously refer them for some pointers...

Let me guess: But YOU don't.

-L.