Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Using Silicone muffin pans

On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:46:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Alexis?

> Anyone had good luck with silicone muffin pans? I received some
> recently, and I've only used them a few times -- but I'm not having any
> luck getting anything in them to rise. My guess is that the silicone
> "gives" too easily to allow enough support for the batters. Any
> suggestions? I've made muffins from a basic tried-and-true blueberry
> muffin recipe, and tonight I made popovers (to go with the potato corn
> chowder). This is the first time ever I've not had my popovers "pop".
>
> Recipe I used for the popovers:
>
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup milk
> 3 cups eggs
> dash of salt.
>
> fill cold, greased muffin tins (I've always used muffin tins instead of
> a popover pan and never had problems before) half-full. Put in a cold
> oven and turn to 450 degrees. Bake, without opening the oven door at
> all, for 30 minutes.
>
> Like I said, this is the first time they haven't worked. The only
> difference is the pan. So, if there's anyone here who uses and likes
> their silicon muffin pans, I'd love to hear what you do with them!
>
> Thanks,
> Alexis.

Alexis, popovers and Yorkshire puddings usually require a very hot
preheated pan that will hold the heat and give an instant push to the
batter. This is impossible with the new silicone pans.

I've never tried your method, but I suspect that the silicone pans cannot
themselves sustain a hot enough temperature to produce the rising afforded
by metal.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.