Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Glorfindel

Default If I Had $40 Million

Ron wrote:

<snip>

> In 2003, PETA enjoyed a budget of $16,414,174. In 2003,
> PETA's sister organization, Physicians Committee for
> Responsible Medicine (PCRM) received $2,667,912 in donations.
> What have they done with the money? Can you see the results?

Yes, actually, I can.

I can't see why people insist on dumping on PETA. I've been
a member since 1984, and in the years since then, PETA
has been very important in bringing issues of animal welfare
in front of the public, in suggesting alternatives to things
like dissection in school, in providing funding and volunteer
effort in crises like Katrina and other natural disasters, and
in ongoing programs like providing shelters for outdoor dogs.
PETA has been central in making the issues visible, from
medical lab abuses to abuses of farm animals raised for large
corporations, to anti-fur messages, and many more. They are a
populist organization, not a scholarly one, and they make no
pretense to be anything other than an activist group. More
extreme organizations and individuals criticize them, but they
are the basic organization that has brought animal welfare/
animal rights (less so than in earlier years) to public attention.
They are visible, they make the issues visible, and they have been
a major, major factor in bringing hard animal welfare to a
position where it is discussed in mainstream media. They have real
clout, and they have made changes. They're not perfect, but
what organization is?

<snip>
> Buy Farm Sanctuary's
> mailing list. Yes, it's for sale. Actually, it's for rent.

That's reasonable. People who contribute to Farm Sanctuary
will probably also be interested in PETA -- if they don't
know about PETA already (which I doubt). I belong to both,
and contribute to both. Most groups work this way -- and
PETA is certainly much less obnoxious than some of the
charities which have obviously gotten my name off another
charity's membership list.

<snip>

> If I had one-tenth of their budget, there would be 100 million
> more vegetarians in America.

Really? Prove it. PETA started with 2 organizers and a minuscule
budget. If you can do better, show us. Then maybe I'll contribute
to *your* organization.

<snip>

> Ask yourself two questions. First, other than their continuing
> solicitations to your mailbox for more funds, have you heard
> anything from or about PETA lately?

Oh, yes. All the time.

> Second question. Has PETA
> changed that which is evil or offensive in this world,

Some of it.

<snip>