Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Ron

Default If I Had $40 Million

From: "Robert Cohen" <notmilk@...>
Date: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:12 pm
Subject: If I Had $40 Million

If I Had $40 Million

Last week (December 28, 2005), Ingrid Newkirk, the founder
and director of the People for the Ethical Treatment of
Animals (PETA) was in Bethlehem (Palestine) on her
well-financed personal world tour.

Dollar for dollar, how many camels or donkeys did she save?
How much more peace is there in the world these days after
your donations enabled Ingrid to travel from her Virginia
home base to the holy land to make asses of her contributors?

In 2003, PETA enjoyed a budget of $16,414,174. In 2003,
PETA's sister organization, Physicians Committee for
Responsible Medicine (PCRM) received $2,667,912 in donations.
What have they done with the money? Can you see the results?

Last year, PETA and PCRM found that their budgets jumped
from just under $20 million in 2003 to over $40 million.
God bless their ability to generate funding. So what if more
animals per capita are being eaten by Americans? While PETA
euthanizes healthy shelter dogs and cats in the back of their
killing van, people continue to eat more meat and PETA continues
to raise more money by lulling consumers into a false sense of
believing that animals are treated better. That they are not
is inconsequential to the bottom line. Animal rights business
is better than ever!

The system is running away from the once good people whose
first priority is to now keep their well-oiled money making
machinery in prime working order.

Here is the formula for animal rights success. Raise one million
dollars. Invest half of that to hire more people to raise more
money to promise to help more animals. The second round, raise
two million. Invest one-million to hire more employees and
churn mailing lists to raise more money. Buy Farm Sanctuary's
mailing list. Yes, it's for sale. Actually, it's for rent. You
can use the list just once before you must pay the fee again.
This time, raise four million dollars. Hire more activists to
work within your organization. Assign them the task of gathering
names and addresses so that your organization can derive income
by renting lists. Next round, raise eight million dollars.
Throw charity functions on each coast of the United States. Bring
celebrities along and award them imaginary plaques for their
imaginary work in the animal rights movement. Give them a standing
ovation and ask them to pose naked and say a few nasty words
about fur. Include details of celebrity events in your next mailing.
Be sure to include details of how veal calves were once abused
in crates 20 years ago, and represent that this is the state of
affairs today. The next young person who approaches me and says
"...and calves are kept in crates so small, they cannot turn
around..." will get a stern lecture on Farm Sancturary's mailings
as they apply to lies and deception.

Of course, you'll be guaranteed to raise even more funds by use of
lies and clever marketing tactics. And for what?
What have we in the AR movement become? Phonies? Liars?
Only in it for the money folk who have lost their direction,
and now call money raising their number one activity and priority?

What has PETA or other organizations done lately for the animals?

If I had one-tenth of their budget, there would be 100 million
more vegetarians in America. Of course, that would mean that PETA
is no longer needed, right? That ain't ever gonna happen. They
cannot afford to that that mistake.

Ask yourself two questions. First, other than their continuing
solicitations to your mailbox for more funds, have you heard
anything from or about PETA lately? Second question. Has PETA
changed that which is evil or offensive in this world, or have
they become a part of it?

Is it just PETA? Absolutely not. Money seems to universally corrupt.
A few years ago, there was a settlement to the famous McDonalds
burger chain lawsuit. It seems that french-fried potatoes were
cooked in animal fat. Millions of dollars were distributed to do-
nothing vegetarian organizations. One such group's main contribution
to the so-called movement is a once per-year summer festival in
Pennsylvania to which the same 300 or so people show up every
year to eat raw red potatoes and unripened fruit. Another recipient
hosts a yearly vegetarian Thanksgiving meal at a New Jersey
restaurant.

Millions of dollars in hush money, paid to those who hope for a
yearly stipend. While one group fought another two years ago amid
much publicity (and depositions), have you heard even a hint about
how any of these dollars were spent? Neither have I, and I've been
searching real hard. Perhaps if I had a million, I could do my
investigative work from a lounge chair on a beach in Aruba.

Robert Cohen
http://www.slaughterhousecam.com