Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

Default cake decorating questions

> Not really. They talk about chefs, not whole kitchen staffs. Culinology
>now has a voice with Culinology magazine that comes out of the Research
>Chefs organization. You might want to check into it. The magazine looks
>good, color throughout and lots of industry news.

>From the essential point.. as ponted by the originator .Culinology is

the fusion of culinary arts and food technology....that is why I posted
earlier that a kitchen personnel must not be only competent with his or
her cookery skills but also have the inclination to think like a food
scientist.

The term culinology was coined by Winston Riley, former president and a
founder of the Research Chefs Association (RCA), to describe and
formalize the fusion of two disciplines - culinary art and food
technology

IIRC the University of Nebraska was the first to offer this course in
their food related curriculum...
When I viewed the prospectus....i found it impressive and thought that
this should be the way how future chefs should be trained.in the 21st
century...but apprenticeship should not be set aside as its useful in
gaining valuable craftmanship skills and good kitchen presentations.
They should go hand in hand...culinary art and cookery science.

I was even urging some bakers to follow suit and do some cross training
.... go to the university and takes some science courses related to food
processing.
They more you understand the reaction mechanism , ingredient
interactions etc that occur in foodprocessing and understand the
tools of the food scientists ...the better baker you become ....which I
had confirmed already.....