Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Default Newbie to green tea, need help

writes:

> OK I'm on a tight budget so I can't exactly get the expensive stuff
> that's usually recommended here. So far I've tried a box of Yogi tea
> "simply green tea" and a box of "Equal Exchange" organic green tea BUT
> both turn brown when brewed. Does that mean it's not really green tea,
> EG I won't get the benefits of green tea from those?

That's probably irrelevant. Different manufacturing methods yield
leaves with different hues, but I haven't heard anything convincing
about health differences along these lines.

> Any decent priced brands you can recommend?

If you have a grocery store handy that sells to Japanese people, try
any brand of green tea you can afford. In my experience, in these
shops quality varies directly with price.

> I honestly don't care about the taste, I'm just drinking it for the
> health benefits. If it has a bitter aftertaste that's OK with me.

I'm sure you sincerely believe this, but please consider: cultivating
a taste for what you're drinking will fortify your resolve to continue
with it.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /