Posted to alt.food.wine
Chris Sprague

Default A few moderate wine deals

One of my favorite wine shops in Portland, Maine - the Portland
Greengrocer, is sadly going out of business soon. The owner, Nick
Witte, told me that he simply wants to move onto other things after 15
years, and would like to get out of the food and wine business.

Due to this, all the wines are 10% off, which in many cases, merely
brings the relatively high Maine prices down to what I often see in NH.
However, case discounts are 20%. So, I trodded down there during
lunch today and assembled a mixed case.

Some highlights:

1989 Veuve Clicquot Reserve. $39.
1997 Chateau Musar - $32
2002 Chateau Musar Cuvee Rose - $14
2001 "Les Chenes Carteaux" 1er Cru Nuits St.-Georges - $29

Nothing earth shattering, but some decent deals nonetheless. It's a
shame that they're going out of business though, as the owner, Nick
Witte, is a nice guy with good taste, and his small-mid sized wine
selection was always interesting, and had an exceptional ratio of
excellent, even obscure wines.

It's always sad when a favorite store goes out of business, I guess.

- Chris