Posted to rec.food.baking
ms. tonya

Default cake decorating questions

(-L.)WROTE:
Sorry if these are dumb questions...
1. Is it ok to leave a cake that is decorated with an icing made from
butter and cream cheese, powdered sugar and water (or milk) out on the
counter overnight, or should it be refridgerated? If I need to keep it
in the fridge, will the colors of different icing run or bleed into each
other? Any precautions to take?
2. My Spice Islands brand "pure vanilla extract" looks cloudy. I tasted
it and mainly taste alcohol - should I just toss it and start anew? Is
there a way to use real vanilla bean to flavor the icing (above)?
My Response: No matter how much I get flamed by this reply & I do get
flamed I go by what an retired food inspector through our local board of
health taught us in the food safety & handling course I took at a top
rated community college in culinary.
ANY food item with whole milk , butter,& eggs are to be stored in the
fridge PERIOD.
If any thing this gives me peace of mind & steers me away from these
products in grocery stores with listed ingredients stored on open non
refrigerated shelves.