Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default cake decorating questions

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry if these are dumb questions...
>
> 1. Is it ok to leave a cake that is decorated with an icing made from
> butter and cream cheese, powdered sugar and water (or milk) out on the
> counter overnight, or should it be refridgerated? If I need to keep it
> in the fridge, will the colors of different icing run or bleed into
> each other? Any precautions to take?
>
> 2. My Spice Islands brand "pure vanilla extract" looks cloudy. I
> tasted it and mainly taste alcohol - should I just toss it and start
> anew? Is there a way to use real vanilla bean to flavor the icing
> (above)?

Ideally the cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. It is unlikely
that the colors will run more in the refrigerator than if left at room
temperature. That said, there is so much sugar in the frosting that it is
unlikely that it will spoil if left out over night.

When in doubt it is always best to discard food products. But, since there
is so much alcohol in vanilla extract, it is unlikely to make you sick. One
way to flavor the frosting would be to use vanilla powder. I don't know of
any way to flavor it with the bean except to put a whole bean in the sugar
and let it sit for an extended time.