Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Wayne Boatwright

Default Prune Juice?

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 08:10:54a, L, not -L wrote in alt.food.diabetic:

> On 11-Jan-2006, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>
>> What is the impact of prune juice on a Type 2 diabetic diet?
>>
>> TIA

> An 8 oz glass of Sunsweet prune juice has 43gr carbohydrate, only 3 of
> which come from fiber. Net 40gr carbohydrate is probably not a good
> thing for a diabetic, even if it is from fructose. Prunes are a low
> glycemic food, but you have to work harder to get the fructose out of
> the whole fruit than you do with juice; I think the juice would quickly
> cause a spike in your numbers.
>
> If your goal is to drink the juice because you like the taste, why not
> try a small glass, say 3 oz - basically a single carb exchange - and
> test a couple of times over a two hour period.
>
> If your goal is to drink the juice for its reputed laxative benefits,
> you might want to look into Metamucil sugar-free.

I really like it for taste, but I want to drink it primarily for the
laxative benefits. Fiber products like Metamucil just don't work the same
for me. They are bulk fillers and to not induce activity in the same way.

Careful testing, of course, is the best way to go.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974