Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Default Chateauneuf du Pape 1998

Emery Davis wrote:

> I think there will be some excellent '03s. As usual with this bizarre
> summer an expert hand is required. I haven't gone tasting yet
> so I can't comment in particular, but I'm betting the V.T. will be
> a classic big boned CdP young. Whether there is sufficient
> acidity for the long term, maybe you can try a bottle and let
> us know!

I've generally been steering clear of the '03s, but mostly out of
prejudice: I'm wary of overripe flavors and am still saturated with the
'98-'01s ;-)

> ] BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.
> ]
>
> La Crau is a commune in the Var, which presumably doesn't
> apply. However it is also used to describe the (formerly) desert
> region formed by the river Durance delta as it joins the Rhone.
> That at least puts you in the right area, so I'm guessing the
> vineyard is located in this rocky flatland. (Larousse is great
> for this kind of minutia!)

La Crau is the name of the plateau that runs between Chateauneuf and
Bedarrides. It's home to some of the largest galets in the region and
is generally considered to be the prime terroir of the region. But you
knew all that, didn't you?

Mark Lipton
(Just returned from India, Singapore and SF)