Posted to rec.food.drink
Gunther Anderson

Default Orange Liqueur

wrote:

> Orange Liqueur
>
> 3 large oranges
> 3 cups 80 proof vodka
> 1&1/2 cups superfine sugar
>
> Remove the orange colored rind thinly from the oranges.
> Make sure you don't get any of the white membrane or the liqueur will
> have a bitter taste.
> Blot the peel with a paper towel to remove the oil.
> Put the peel in a jar with screw top and add 2 cups of the vodka.
> Store it in a cool place for about 2 days.
> After two days remove the peel add the sugar and shake vigorously until
> all the sugar is dissolved.
> Add the other 1 cup of vodka and close the jar.
> Store it in a cool dark place for a month at least.

Egad. OK, perhaps not "egad," but that looks like it'll come out mighty
thin. Definitely give it a couple of weeks soaking before removing the
peels, and you might very well want more than 3 oranges worth of rind.
Any excess oil you get that doesn't dissolve in the alcohol, you can
blot off the top of the liqueur as well.

But citrus peel liqueurs want a couple of weeks of steeping at least
(I've got one recipe that wants 1 month steeping and 3 months aging).

Gunther Anderson