Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cryambers

Default Julie and Julia: Favorite Julia Child Recipes?

Karen MacInerney wrote:

> So, for all of you master cooks out there, any personal favorites?
> Preferably personal favorites requiring less than three hours of labor?
> (Much of the book was devoted to the more challenging recipes -- more
> fun to write about, I suppose.) I have The Way to Cook and will be
> picking up MtAoFC soon. My stove top is at the ready...

I just tried making her Duck a l'Orange recipe from Mastering the Art,
and it came out really well. I'll definitely make it again. It
doesn't come in at under three hours labor because of the time required
to make the duck stock, but I didn't find the recipe (and its
subrecipes) as difficult to make as I had thought it would be. Now I'm
less intimidated about trying other recipes in the book. (Essentially
the same recipe appears in The French Chef Cookbook, which I find a
less intimidating book to cook from--probably due to the format. I've
been making the vinaigrette salad dressing from that book for some
time. For some reason, I always get the proportions wrong for
vinaigrette if I don't follow a recipe.)

Pat