Posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley

Default I'm not satisfied with the breadmaker

Eric Jorgensen > wrote:
> The bread machine is a perfect tool for someone who has no interest in
>baking but who insists on having a little round loaf of fresh bread on
>demand, along with the associated baking smells. It'd be great for that,
>assuming it works reliably.

Yanno, I get really annoyed by comments like this. I'm a pretty good
baker, if I say so myself. I *can* make my own bread by hand.

I have a choice, though. I can make bread by hand twice a week, or I
can do the laundry, or make dinner, or make fresh cookies for the
kids' lunchboxes. I have shoulder problems, and if I choose to make
bread by hand, I cannot do -anything- else that involves shoulder/arm
action for about a day.

I own a bread machine. I use it 3 or 4 times a week. It makes good
bread, by which I mean that it's consistent from loaf to loaf, and
*MY KIDS LIKE IT* for their sandwiches. This last point is one of the
big reasons I use the machine. It costs a hell of a lot less than the
store bread that they will eat, and I don't have to buy 3-4 loaves and
keep them in the freezer. (and still have to run out to the store on
Sunday so there's bread for Monday's lunchboxes.)

I'd rather my family have a home-cooked dinner every night and
home-made cookies in their lunches than hand-made bread.

--
Jenn Ridley :