Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

Default impulse buy bread tins

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi, i bought on impulse today two bread tins 9" (23cm) by 4.5" (11.5cm) by
> 2.25" (6 cm) deep and a 1.5 Kg ( 3 lb) bag of whole meal self raising flour.
>
> Could anyone give a novice some reference to simple bread making
> instructions please? Many thanks

Everybody,

Sorry if this is posted twice. I posted it, but it's not showing up on
my reader. So I'll post it again and see what happens.

Ken

JW,

Since it seems that you want something simple, and you bought self
rising flour, I'm going to give you the easiest bread recipe I know.
I'm a Yank, so measurements will not be in metric, sorry. And I don't
know what whole meal flour is. If that's what we call whole wheat,
you'll need to get some more stuff. Even if bread is called whole
wheat, it's only partially whole wheat, so you'll need to get some
regular white self rising flour. You can add in some whole wheat for a
heartier texture. I'm not experienced enough with breads to tell you
how to adjust.

Self rising flour is also used for what we call biscuits, which is not
the British biscuit, which is what we call a cookie. Sorry, I don't
know England's word for biscuit. The U.S. and England: Two countries
separated by a common language. (I have no idea where you're from, but
since you're using the word tin and metric measurements, I'm assuming
you're more familiar with British than American English.)

Beer Bread:

3 cups self rising flour (This is just regular white, self rising
flour.)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 can beer at room temp. (In the U.S., a can of beer is twelve fluid
ounces.)

Mix together put dough in a greased loaf pan.

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

This will make a tasty, hearty bread. (Not too many air holes. It's
been a while, but if I remember correctly, it's about half way to corn
bread consistency.) Not what you'd want for sandwiches, but great
heated with butter, or with a plate of cheese and fruit, or to go with
a green salad, or a bowl of stew or soup.

Hope this helps,

Ken