Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default impulse buy bread tins

jw 1111 wrote:

> Hi, i bought on impulse today two bread tins 9" (23cm) by 4.5"
> (11.5cm) by
> 2.25" (6 cm) deep and a 1.5 Kg ( 3 lb) bag of whole meal self raising
> flour.
>
> Could anyone give a novice some reference to simple bread making
> instructions please? Many thanks

There are a number of good bread recipes, using various flours and
ingredients, one of the simplest is ordinary French bread.It is possible
to approximate, though not duplicate, the crusty country bread of France
using American flours and home ovens. The classic recipe calls for 4
ingredients only -- yeast, four, salt and water.

To thicken and crispen the crust as the bread bakes some authorities
suggest setting a large shallow baking pan of water directly on the
floor of the oven ---the steam generated is claimed to be critical to
the bread's texture. I do not bother with this.

Pain Ordinaire - plain French bread

1 & 1/2 tbs. active dry yeast

3/4 cup warm water (105 - 115 F)

1/2 tsp. salt

2 & 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour

Glaze
------

1 egg white beaten with 1 tbs. cold water
-------

Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand about 5 minutes, or
until completely dissolved. Stir in the salt, then pour mixture into a
large mixing bowl, with one cup of flour (this mixing and kneading can
be done in a food processor much more quickly and easily) mix well and
add another cup of flour, mix and add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour,
mix well and thoroughly.

Examine the texture of the dough. If it seems soft and sticky (as it
may if you attempt to make the bread in rainy or humid weather), add
another 1/4 cup or so of sifted flour.

Remove dough to a clean, floured bread board or other flat surface upon
which to knead the dough, knead well by hand at least 3 - 5 minutes.
Adding flour to the work surface as needed to prevent the bread from
sticking.

When finished kneading transfer the dough to a greased mixing bowl, turn
dough in bowl so that it is lightly greased all over, cover with a
clean, dry cloth, set in a warm place away from drafts and allow to rise
until double in bulk between 1 & 1/2 - 2 hours.

Punch the dough down, turn onto a lightly floured board and knead
briskly for 2 - 3 minutes until dough feels soft and springy.

Using the palms of your hands, roll the dough back and forth on the
floured surface to form a chunky rope about 14 inches long, 3 inches
wide by 2 inches high (can be placed in ordinary loaf pans). Ease onto
an ungreased baking sheet, cover with a clean, dry towel and allow to
rise until double in bulk -- about 1 hour.

Set a shallow baking pan on the oven floor and pour in water to a depth
of 1 inch. Preheat oven to very hot (450 F); this will take about 10
minutes. Meanwhile, brush the bread well with the egg white glaze. Set
it, on the baking sheet, on the middle rack of the oven and bake
uncovered, for 1/2 hour, or until loaf is richly browned and sounds
hollow when thumped with ¥ø¨r fingers.

Remove the bread from the oven and cool to room temperature on a wire
rack before cutting. Actually, this bread, like so many rustic breads,.
tears better than it cuts. Simply tear into chunks and enjoy with a
ripe camembert or brie and dry red wine.
---

There are 'quick' breads made without yeast or a period of 'rising' and
other more elaborate breads with oils, milks, butters, eggs, herbs &
spices, cheeses, fruits, veggies etc. etc. in them. Let us know if you
are interested in any of these more complex breads. A Brioche is very
nice but a real 'pain' to make, however i use a food processor and that
makes it a lot easier.
---
Joseph Littleshoes