Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W.M.McKee

Default Bad Boy

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:52 GMT, Jennifer
> wrote:

>W.M.McKee wrote:
>> One thing about so-called diet drinks.... Studies have shown that they
>> actually make a person hungry, thus causing one to eat and drink more.
>> One theory is that the sweetness triggers insulin release, which in
>> turn, provokes feelings of hunger.... At least this would be the case
>> in a T2, where the problem is "insulin resistance."
>>
>> Will

>Will...
>
>I've only heard anecdotal stories about artificial sweeteners causing
>cravings.
>
>Do you remember any of the studies you're talking about?
>
>Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

After a little thought, I have recalled where I first came up with
this idea...

A few years ago, a book came out by Dr. Richard F. Heller, M.S, Ph.D.,
and Dr. Rachel Heller, M.A., M.Ph., Ph.D., called "The Carbohydrate
Addict's Lifespan Program", Penguin, 1997. In that abook, they
extensively discuss insulin release triggers and the mechanisms that
drive hunger (Ch. 3). In support of their work, they offer their own
research at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, in New York City, and in
the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the Fraduate School of the
City University of New York. Additionally, in support of their work,
they cite a bibliography of approximately 23 pages, containing cites
to over 280 reported studies and publications. The URL to their
website is http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com

Since the time of the publication of "Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan
Program", much more research has been done in this area, touching
upon related things, such as the "Glucose Revolution", by Jennie
Brand-Miller, Thomas M.S. Wolever, Kaye Foster-Powell, and Stephen
Colaagiuri. The most recent edition of that work came out in 2003.
While "Glucose Revolution" does not specifically discuss insulin
triggers and cravings, when I read it together with the work of the
Kellers, it makes sense that cravings can be driven just as much by
artificial sweeteners, as by things that contain carbs which can be
readily converted to glucose.

This connection seems borne out by recent findings that report a
linkage of artificial sweeteners to cravings related to insulin
release, and consequent excessive eating. I have seen these articles
all over the place lately, such as in the science and health news of
Yahoo, the ADA newsletter I get via email, etc. I did a quick search a
little while ago, and I came across an interesting write-up at
http://www.commonvoice.com/article.asp?colid=3041

As I said in my last reply to you, I have tried avoiding all
sweeteners, including artificial sweeteners, and to the extent that I
have done so, I have noticed a remarkable decrease in appetite. As
part of a comprehensive strategy, that knowledge has given me an edge
that has allowed me to lose approximately 55 lbs. in 2005.

I hope the foregoing is helpful.

Very truly yours,

Will, T2