Old 02-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
W.M.McKee

Default Bad Boy

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:52 GMT, Jennifer
wrote:

W.M.McKee wrote:
One thing about so-called diet drinks.... Studies have shown that they
actually make a person hungry, thus causing one to eat and drink more.
One theory is that the sweetness triggers insulin release, which in
turn, provokes feelings of hunger.... At least this would be the case
in a T2, where the problem is "insulin resistance."

Will

Will...

I've only heard anecdotal stories about artificial sweeteners causing
cravings.

Do you remember any of the studies you're talking about?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I'll have to see what I can coax out of the "little grey cells"... Off
the top of my head, it could have been something I read in one of Dr.
Atkins's books, or perhaps in one of the books by
Dr. Julian Whitaker... On the other hand, I am a voracious reader, and
it could be from somewhere else that I got that. It was a while back.
I'll try to check it out and get back to you.....

I do know, however, that ever since I gave up all sweeteners, sugar
and artificial, and went low carb, I simply have not gottent very
hungry, like I used to. Don't get me wrong, I still get hungry, like
any normal person,... just not ravenously hungry, like I used to.

Also,lately, there have been studies that have gotten some exposure on
the net about artificial sweeteners causing cravings and leading to
increased total eating. If I am not mistaken, one of those articles
ran in one of the ADA newsletters..

Will, T2