Posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

Default Oven Temperature Fluctuations

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Bob Giel" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> How much can an oven's temperature vary and still give good results?
>>
>> If set at 350 degrees F., what is the most it should go above or below
>> the
>> set temperature?
>> Is there actually a standard or "generally accepted range"?
>> Is the acceptable range a percentage of the target temperature (e.g. up
>> or
>> down 5%) or is it an absolute (e.g. up or down 10 degrees F maximum?)
>>
>> My oven is way out of whack, can vary as much as 150 degrees when set at

> 250
>> deg F (down to 100 and up to 289!) and +/- 70 degrees when set at 35.
>> Obviously this is crazy, but I need to know what is acceptable for good
>> baking, as the repair people are worthless in this regard, and I'm sick

> and
>> tired of throwing out food!
>>
>> I've searched the internet for weeks and found NOTHING even remotely like

>> standard.
>>
>> Please help!

> You might post over at rec.food.equipment. Someone over there will
> probably
> know if there is an industry standard. My opinion would be that the oven
> shouldn't vary more than about 25F +/- the set point.

I've been keeping an thermometer in my oven for the past year, because I too
was having oven problems. I have a double oven and switched to the bottom
oven when the top one got too crazy. So, when it was working properly it
varied by 25F +/- the set point like Vox had suggested. This was acceptable
and baked things properly. When it started varying 50F+/- things were not
baked properly. I am currently setting here at home waiting for my new
double oven to be delivered and installed. The old one was so out of date
it wasn't worth the money they wanted to repair it.

Lynne