Posted to rec.food.baking
D.Currie

Default Nabisco original graham crackers?

"chembake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >On "America's Test Kitchen" they recommended nabisco original graham
>>crackers made with molasses for making the best graham cracker pie
>>crust

> IMO it would be sheer stupidity to be literal in the interpretation of
> recipes<grin>...
> Original or imitation graham crackers don't matter much if used only as
> crust for a cheesecake.

There are some pretty weird graham crackers out there, which a person might
want to avoid when trying to make a specific recipe. I ran into a similar
problem when I was making a graham cracker crust. I wasn't looking for
anything in particular, but I also didn't want extra flavorings. What I
found were boxes and boxes of cinnamon, chocolate and extra-honey-sweetened
or frosted crackers next to some no-fat, low-carb and other modifications.

If I was just buying the grahams for snacking, it wouldn't have made a whole
lot of difference, and for the cost, if I didn't like them, I could have
thrown them out without much loss. But if I was taking the time to make my
own crust and my own pie, I didn't want some funky off-flavored graham
crackers to ruin it.