Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Nabisco original graham crackers?

"chembake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >On "America's Test Kitchen" they recommended nabisco original graham
> >crackers made with molasses for making the best graham cracker pie
> >crust

> IMO it would be sheer stupidity to be literal in the interpretation of
> recipes<grin>...
> Original or imitation graham crackers don't matter much if used only as
> crust for a cheesecake.

Exactly, but this goes back to my point about ATK/Cook's Illustrated/Alton
Brown. Sometimes they go out of their way to make distinctions that have
very little difference. The concepts may be good - i.e., reduce cooking to
a pure science, but the way they execute it is problematic. In most cases
they commit the same errors that they claim to address because their
evaluations are purely subjective. The "very best super high quality"
skillet that they use is only the best because it functions they way THEY
THINK is best in THEIR kitchen they way that THEY use it. Often the VERY
BEST INGREDIENT is something that is only available in the NE region of the
US, so it makes no difference since it isn't available in my supermarket.