Ray

Default First time roast chicken (kind of long)

Made a roast chicken for the first time today using this recipe by Julia
Child and want to discuss the results:

1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery leaves
Salt and black pepper
Butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash the chicken in hot water and dry thoroughly. Season the cavity with
salt and black pepper and stuff with the onion, lemon, and celery leaves.
Rub the chicken lightly with softened butter and season all over with salt
and pepper. Tie the drumsticks ends together and set the chicken, breast
side up, in an oiled v-shaped rack or on an oiled roasting pan in the oven.

Roast for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees,
baste the chicken, and roast for 15 minutes. Continue roasting the chicken
until the juices run clear, for a total of 45 minutes plus an additional 7
minutes for each pound. (In other words, a 3 1/2 pound chicken would take a
basic 45 minutes plus an additional 25 minutes, for a total 70 minutes or 1
hour and 10 minutes of cooking time.)

The bird I had was 6 pounds. I followed the prep directions, omitting the
celery leaves (didn't have any on hand) and only cut the lemon in half
instead of in thin slices. Used a stainless steel roasting pan with a
nonstick rack in it.

I cooked the chicken at the initial temp of 425 for 20 mins instead of 15
but I still had no drippings in the pan, so I couldn't baste. In fact, by
the end of the cooking time (90 minutes) there were virtually no drippings
at all.

When I took the bird out of the pan, there seemed to be a bit of juice in
the cavity with the lemon and onion. When I carved 10 minutes later, more
juice flowed as well. It seemed that the breast meat was cooked pretty
well, but the legs and thighs could probably have used about 10-15 more
mins. Also, the skin did not come out crispy

All in all, I wasn't too disappointed with the results since it was a first
time effort. I would have liked the skin to be a bit crispier though.
Would a higher starting temp correct that? Also, my pan may be a bit big
for that size bird. Doesn't a snug fit in the pan allow more heat to
reflect onto the bird? Or should I go without the rack? I know I also need
to invest in a meat thermometer, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Thanks if you are still reading, and wish to offer any tips for next time.
--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply