Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Nexis

Default Turkish coffee

"Bob" wrote in message
EskWIRED proffered:

You need fresh coffee and an exceptionally good grinder, capable of
grinding to a dust-like consistency. You also need an Ibrik, which is a
coffee maker which is flat and wide on the bottom and smaller on the

top,

You mix the powderedd coffee with water, and then heat the Ibrik until
the coffee foams up, but does not boil. Repeat it three times. Then let
the sledge settle a bit.

Often spices are mixed in, most commonly, cardommon.

This is the way I make it, and I find it to be identical to the "Turkish"
coffee I was served at restaurants in Kuwait. Strictly speaking, you can
make the coffee in a small saucepan; it's just not as easy to pour out.

For the OP, I'm aware of two San Diego restaurants which serve Turkish
coffee:

Pomegranate, at the corner of El Cajon and Louisiana (see
http://www.russiangeorgianfood.homestead.com/)

Cafe Caspian, 4646 Park Blvd, (see

http://www.caspiancorner.theshoppe.com/)

Both restaurants are excellent, even if you DON'T go there for the coffee.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I haven't been to either, so I'm anxious to check them out. I am
always looking for new and exciting places to try, as long as they have some
choices suitable for me.
Thanks again, and double thanks for including the links

kimberly