Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

Default Food Channel on TV

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:05:48 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

(snip)

>On my food channel network, I don't get Nigella or Jamie. I only get Jamie
>on BBC, but hesitantly as not to offend, his personality and menu selection
>is not to my liking. I would like to get Nigella's programs.

I can quite understand Americans not really liking Jamie Oliver's
style. He is a wonderful cook, though, and some of his cooking
techniques have really opened my eyes!

Nigella is very easy on the eyes and is so British plummy! She's a
real treat. Did you know her father was a cabinet minister in the
last Tory government in the UK? Filthy rich the lot of them!

>There used to be a plethora of cooking shows on PBS, now I only see three
>that are of interest to me, out of only a few that are left; those are
>Bittman & America's Test Kitchen, Rick Bayliss' Mexican food.

Not to offend, but I am unable to deal with Mexican food - it seems to
be at the cheap end - like what you do when the money runs out. I
find Emilio's recipes sometimes quite good, but the program itself is
not to my taste - all that applause and leaping about!

>On Cable PBS, there are still re-runs of Julia's Master Chef Series and
>Baking with Julia (Julia Child). I've particularly enjoyed the breadmaking
>shows with a couple of my favorite breadmakers: Ortiz, Field and Silverman.
>
>I would love to get more programs on Indian, Persian, Asian etc. cooking.
>Bland foods are OK, but not my preference when I want to learn something
>new.

There is a Delhi Belly program on UK TV - we get this as well here in
New Zealand - it's done by a guy called Kumar who used to be in some
English comedy program. The BBC site is quite good and you can find
lovely recipes there.

I'm personally not into Persian or much Middle Eastern food - I quite
like couscous but not chickpeas. I wouldnt be much use in that part
of the world I fear!

>I do use food network to learn. My last dish was a fusion of a recipe of
>cioppino from Giada's and Rachel Ray's. Rachel's recipe because I'd never
>cooked with anchovies before and she is the only person I've seen that made
>that possible for me to try.

I wonder if this is the Rachel we get who is English and seems to only
do small TV bites. They are quite informative though and she's easy
to follow.

>After going the route of buying salted
>anchovies and them molding (of all things) before I could pull myself
>together to use them, then I found anchovies in the jar as she was
>demonstrating using on her program (in olive oil) and so because of food
>network, I was able to use anchovies in cooking. Viva la food network.

I dont know anything about salted anchovies at all. I've only ever
seen them in tins or bottles. I usually buy them in oil in a little
bottle and keep the bottle. Because I don't like leaving leftover
things in tins in the refrigerator, I tend to transfer anyleftover
anchovies from tins into one of the tiny bottles I keep for the
purpose. I've kept them for over a week. We love them and tend to
use them up within that time, some way or another.

How about this recipe for a quick and easy tasty pasta dish that I use
all the time:

1 clove garlic finely sliced. 2 anchovies crushed.
Good quality Extra Virgin olive oil.
Enough pasta for 2 people.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Shake of dried chilli flakes (optional)

While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil to medium only. Add the
garlic and stir once, then add the anchovies and stir again. Add the
chilli flakes if you are using them. Cook for about 2 minutes or so
on a medium to low heat. I find garlic is awful if it cooks fast and
goes too brown.

Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Mix in the oil, garlic and
anchovies.

Sometimes I add some leftover tomato puree or pasta sauce I happen to
have over.

Freshly grate parmesan cheese over the top and serve immediately.

It's just so easy and so nice. Quick too.

Cheers Dee

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!