Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Food Channel on TV

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:19:46 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
>
>>Daisy wrote:
>>> Recently a Food channel appeared among our digital choices here in New
>>> Zealand. It has some great items and good cooks from the UK, the USA
>>> and Canada and Australia. Such a lot of choice!
>>>
>>> When I go online, however, to locate a recipe I would like to copy, I
>>> find that I have to go to Foodtv.com for US programs, and the
>>> BBC website for UK programs. Do viewers in the US and the UK get both
>>> (and even other countries' shows) on their food channel?

On my food channel network, I don't get Nigella or Jamie. I only get Jamie
on BBC, but hesitantly as not to offend, his personality and menu selection
is not to my liking. I would like to get Nigella's programs.

There used to be a plethora of cooking shows on PBS, now I only see three
that are of interest to me, out of only a few that are left; those are
Bittman & America's Test Kitchen, Rick Bayliss' Mexican food.

On Cable PBS, there are still re-runs of Julia's Master Chef Series and
Baking with Julia (Julia Child). I've particularly enjoyed the breadmaking
shows with a couple of my favorite breadmakers: Ortiz, Field and Silverman.

I would love to get more programs on Indian, Persian, Asian etc. cooking.
Bland foods are OK, but not my preference when I want to learn something
new.

I do use food network to learn. My last dish was a fusion of a recipe of
cioppino from Giada's and Rachel Ray's. Rachel's recipe because I'd never
cooked with anchovies before and she is the only person I've seen that made
that possible for me to try. After going the route of buying salted
anchovies and them molding (of all things) before I could pull myself
together to use them, then I found anchovies in the jar as she was
demonstrating using on her program (in olive oil) and so because of food
network, I was able to use anchovies in cooking. Viva la food network.
Dee Dee