Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daisy

Default Food Channel on TV

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:19:46 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Daisy wrote:
>> Recently a Food channel appeared among our digital choices here in New
>> Zealand. It has some great items and good cooks from the UK, the USA
>> and Canada and Australia. Such a lot of choice!
>>
>> When I go online, however, to locate a recipe I would like to copy, I
>> find that I have to go to Foodtv.com for US programs, and the
>> BBC website for UK programs. Do viewers in the US and the UK get both
>> (and even other countries' shows) on their food channel?
>>

>That's a hard question to answer because all of the U.S. Food network
>programs are available on Foodtv.com but many of the British food
>programs are shown on our PBS stations (Public Broadcasting/educational
>networks). The PBS program recipes are not available to us on Foodtv,
>but sometimes on the local PBS websites. I never thought to check for
>them on the BBC site.
>
>gloria p

Hi Gloria - I wondered about that as well. I wanted a Jamie Oliver
fish pie recipe that I had watched him do but didn't write down the
ingredients - so I discovered the BBC tv food site (I found it by
using his name on Google) and there I found all the other UK shows we
get on our Food channel. I then tried Foodtv.com and found some of
the US ones we get also, but not all.

As I am in New Zealand and we have such a tiny population - but
wonderful fresh foodstuffs - I realise just how fortunate we are to
get all these fabulous programs. I have learned so much more just by
WATCHING good chefs and cooks prepare the dishes.

In any one week we get US programs that I like such as Barefoot
Contessa, Ciao Italia in Tuscany, Cook Like a Chef, How to Boil Water,
Wolfgang Puck. And UK cooking programs like Nigela Bites, Jamie
Oliver (2 of these weekly both different styles), Dinner in a Box,
Saturday Kitchen (Antony Worrall-Thompson), Rick Stein and - best of
all - Antonio Carluccio's Southern Italian - and some Australian
programs also: Food Lovers Guide to Australia, Huey's Cooking
Adventures.

Some of these programs alternate monthly - and all are repeated
overnight.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!