Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Dave

Default Would you like to be eaten?

Martin Willett wrote:
> ant and dec wrote:
> > Martin Willett wrote:

> >> How do you make that out?

> > It was wrong. It is a diatribe. Humour is often used as a mollifying
> > device for mental conflict, perhaps caused by your recognition of your
> > own hypocrisy.
> >

> I don't have a problem with hypocrisy, I make a rule not to eat anything
> smarter than a pig, unless I really have to. Fortunately that rule
> doesn't restrict my diet very much. I have a lot of respect for the
> intelligence of pigs. Chimp chops? No thanks!
>

> > It strikes me you simply haven't got an answer
> >
> >> to the points I made.

> > Does a diatribe have a point?

> Why restrict yourself to one?
>

> >> I get accused of many things, writing stuff full of facts is rarely
> >> one of them. What was incorrect?

> > Salmon, as *one* example is a carnivorous species that we eat as a
> > common food.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon

> How is this a contradiction?
>
> "The only carnivorous species that we eat on a regular basis are fish,
> animals that some people who call themselves vegetarians even try to
> redefine as some sort of vegetable. I've news for you veggies, haddock
> are animals that eat other animals, being cold bloodied, small-eyed and
> ugly doesn't change anything, fish are not vegetables. If you eat fish
> you cannot be a vegetarian."
>

> >> Do veg*ns never use the hypocrisy of eating meat and not wanting to be
> >> eaten as a claim to a higher moral stance?

> > What higher moral stance? Different morals perhaps. Why do you feel they
> > claim a higher moral stance and why? Perhaps it's your perception of
> > your own morality.

If people decide to avoid animal source food products for perceived
ethical reasons as the vast majority of vegans do then it follows
they must consider this to be a higher moral stance.

> Oh come on. Veg*ns ooze their sense of moral superiority like Christians
> and Buddhists, they use it as part of their locomotion, like slugs. Of
> course they make a point of not *claiming* moral superiority while doing
> all they can to ensure that other people get the message loud and clear.
> Their entire bearing says "we're not claiming to be superior to you, oh
> no, that would be rude and arrogant and not *nice*, but you do know that
> you are inferior to us, don't you? You don't? Here, take a pamphlet,
> it's all in there."

Since you obviously have a problem with it perhaps you might like to
give
veg*ns some advice. Should they avoid acting in what they consider to
be the morally superior fashion in case it makes other people feel
uncomfortable? Show they avoid trying to educate people whom they
believe have similar moral values but eat animal products out of
ignorance?
How would you act if you agreed with their views about the raising or
killing of animals?