Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
rick

Default Would you like to be eaten?

"ant and dec" > wrote in message
> Martin Willett wrote:
>> Dutch wrote:
>>> "Martin Willett" > wrote

>>> I think it's probably a combination, but that does not quite
>>> capture
>>> the essence of my argument here. In the current context you
>>> said
>>> about livestock, "it must surely better to live and die than
>>> not to".
>>> "Not to" implies the existence a state of *unborness*, that's
>>> where
>>> the fallacy lies. If such a state exists, then in order to
>>> call it
>>> inferior to "living and dying" we must know something about
>>> it, and I
>>> submit that we don't. If it doesn't exist then the statement
>>> cannot
>>> logically be made. As the author above says, we make such
>>> statements
>>> with "the terra firma of existence to argue from", and a very
>>> pleasant existence at that. I think that we *can* say
>>> something quite
>>> similar to your statement to summarize the morality of
>>> breeding
>>> livestock, and that is, *if* we breed animals to be food for
>>> us, and
>>> we ensure that their lives are happy and content, then no
>>> person can
>>> fairly accuse us of wrongdoing. Can you see what I am
>>> getting at? It
>>> is the "ensuring that their lives are happy and content" that
>>> contains the valid moral principle here.
>>>

>> From my own personal experience I know that it is possible to
>> raise
>> animals for meat and they have a good life. I have seen it in
>> action, I have seen animals being cared for by my mother and
>> by her father. I know that farming is not by its fundamental
>> nature cruel. It can become cruel if the drive to keep down
>> food prices is allowed to reduce the standards of husbandry to
>> unacceptible levels. It is the banks and supermarket buyers
>> that are determining how cruel farming is.
>>
>> I see no reason to give up eating meat entirely for ever just
>> because some animals have been kept in poor conditions. I
>> think drink driving is a terrible thing but I don't see how
>> going teetotal myself and whingeing on about it to anybody who
>> will listen (while making out that I'm not trying to portray
>> myself as morally superior) is the best way to prevent it.
>>
>> If there is an issue with the welfare of farm animals there is
>> an issue with the welfare of farm animals and I say it should
>> be addressed directly and I will have no problem in paying
>> more for food as a consequence.

> Do you buy your food from the supermarket? Do you know or
> particularly care where it comes from?
> ==============================

Like you, I have no idea where the fruits and veggies I eat come
from specifically. I know that much of it is imported, very
little is actually local, and that it requires lots of processing
and transportation. Now, as to the beef I eat, I know exactly
where it comes from. Not more than a few miles away. Is
completely grass-fed, never goes to a feedlot or fed any grains,
never given any hormones, and is not given anti-biotics as a
standard practice. It goes to a local slaughter house, and then
to my freezer. The whole process occurs completely without
minutes of my house.

>>> I would have to say most likely yes, because such dishonesty
>>> would inevitably lead to unjust behaviour towards others.
>>>
>>> I would also like to add that it has been a very, very long
>>> time
>>> since someone new of your caliber has come to these groups to
>>> address
>>> these issues, I hope you decide to stay a while and share
>>> your
>>> insights.
>>>

>> I like the cut of your jib.
>>
>> (In case you're not familiar with that phrase I'm sure the
>> origin is
>> nautical and has nothing to do with butchery.)
>>
>> I think I have just worked out a new moral principle that is
>> better than the not eating anything smarter than a pig
>> principle but also has the same virtue of not making me change
>> my ways and not painting me as a hypocrite in the front of
>> ravenous aliens: I'll not kill or contribute to the death of
>> any animal for food purposes /if that animal is clearly
>> capable of making a moral choice/, unless they have given me
>> explicit permission.
>>

> What prompted this rethink?
>
> Your lack of response in other threads in interesting. -
> Perhaps you're more suited to 'debating' with a sycophant.
>
> What difference does the ability to make a moral choice have on
> your want to kill and eat a species?
>
> Do you *know* that a pig can not differentiate between right
> and wrong?

What a coincidence, neither can usenet vegans....