Posted to rec.food.baking
Kamala Ganesh

Default wilton cookie press - is it usable for all types of cookies?

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> .
>
>> Are we talking about a restaurant-grade boat motor or a stick blender?
>>
>> I wouldn't have any use for the commercial appliance, but my Braun
>>Multiquick sees a lot of action.

> Same here. I have a Braun stick blender. If I don't get a new one for
> Christmas, I may buy a new Braun from Costco.
>

>> Sure, they add features, but my 30 year old Ekco still works as well as
>>it did in the 70's, and many of these new-fangled contraptions only work
>>for a year or so before crapping out.

> Someone gave me a new can opener from Pampered Chef. You know, it was one
> of those guilt purchases they made because they had a 1 square inch piece of
> pizza made with refrigerated biscuits and piece of hotdog on a stick. The
> can opener become so dull it wouldn't open cans after about 6 months of very
> light use. I'm glad I didn't throw my old one away. I also given a can
> opener which I believe came from QVC. That one broke in short order.

I have an Ecko from 1988 that works very well. I have to admit that I
belong to the from-scratch-cooking breed and have only used it sparingly.

>> I will admit to being a believer in rice cookers of the enclosed
>>variety.

> I don't make much rice and I find that I get good results in the microwave.
> I guess if I had a diet that included rice on a daily basis I might buy a
> rice cooker.

I make rice almost everyday and still have not succumbed to the rice
cooker. I use a 3-quart revereware pot for 2 cups of rice. I let
rice+watercome to a boil, give it a stir, place the lid and leave the
pot on the lowest possible simmer for 20 minutes. I let the cooked rice
rest for 10 minutes before serving. Its that easy! That said, all my
relatives including my parents in South India where rice is a staple,
have the rice cooker now and swear by it!

>> If I had an inclination to make yogurt, I'd do it the way my parents
>>taught me, in mason jars in a water bath in the oven.
>>

> I just make it in my oven without a water bath. I set the oven to 110F and
> let it work for 3 - 4 hours.

I make yogurt in the oven pre-warmed to 110F in winters(I turn the oven
off after I put the pot containing the milk+yogurt culture in. It takes
longer but I get a firmer curd with 1% milk). In summers, I just leave
the cultured milk on the counter overnight.

- Kamala.