Old 22-12-2005, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Charlene

Default OT - Synthetic Whiskey

Erroll Ozgencil wrote:

So maybe there's an interesting, fun, and legal way to make whiskey or
other spirits at home. Suppose I put some medium or heavy toast oak
chips in a gallon jug, filled it with vodka, stoppered it with a rubber
bung, and put it in a dark corner of the basement. Would that turn into
whiskey in a year or twelve? Would it be any good?

I'd think you'd get a very oaky form of vodka.

There's more to whisky than oak, namely the original flavours of the
grains. Although vodka is also made from grain most of the time, the
flavours are filtered out in commercial vodka. I don't think there's a
way to add that in.

wd41