Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default HELP with menu plan

hammer wrote:

> simple menu plan, someone is making ham someone else is making
> scalloped potatoes i need a dish and a dessert and i'm coming up with
> nothing original
>

> little help please

I don't know of what help this will be to you but I'm planning a ham
dinner for Christmas Day and turkey for Boxing Day - the first year is
awhile that I've had to make 2 big meals back to back. Here's my ham
dinner menu - glazed ham studded with whole cloves, scalloped potatoes,
green beans, salad - either tossed or more likely coleslaw, squash or
sweet potato. I'll have port wine jelly, peach chutney, and applesauce
to serve with the ham along with a pickle tray of various homemade
pickles. Dessert will more than likely be apple pie but I saw a really
nice apple tart that would be equally good. I thought I had the menu
ready but changed a couple of things like the salad and dessert. IMO, I
would forgo the original unless you want to make a coleslaw with a
little twist or provide different types of pickles. Cauliflower pickles
or pickled onions go well with ham. Maybe you don't really need
something spectacular or original to be good? OTOH, you might be able
to wow them with your choice of wine but I can't really help you with
that one. We'll have a burgundy for those who want it.