Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

Default wilton cookie press - is it usable for all types of cookies?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:13:55 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I tend to agree with you. I do like my food processor and use it daily.
> I don't have a lot of room for seldom-used appliances and have limited my
> selection to the very minimum. I have an electric waffle iron because I
> don't know of an alternative way to make waffles. My "boat motor" was
> dropped and is on it's last leg. I'm in no hurry to replace it, but it
> is so small and tucks into my pantry on its own hanger that it doesn't
> take up much space. I didn't replace my hand-held mixer when it broke.

That reminds me, I need to buy my father a new waffle iron for
christmas. His only heats on one side now. For some reason he's OK with
turning his waffles after a few minutes, but I'm no longer interested in
eating his waffles . . . .

Are we talking about a restaurant-grade boat motor or a stick blender?

I wouldn't have any use for the commercial appliance, but my Braun
Multiquick sees a lot of action.

It's been a while since i picked up my hand-held mixer. I can't recall
using it for anything but frosting since acquiring my own bosch mixer, and
i don't really go in for frosting.

> I gave away my bread machine. An electric skillet takes up space in my
> basement. I don't buy much canned food, so my ancient hand operated can
> opener is more than adequate. I don't have an electric deep fryer, rice
> cooker, yogurt maker, or any of the many specialty appliances that are
> available.

I don't think anybody has improved on the design of the Ekco 'Miracle
Roll" can opener.

Sure, they add features, but my 30 year old Ekco still works as well as
it did in the 70's, and many of these new-fangled contraptions only work
for a year or so before crapping out.

Yes, it doesn't have big soft handles - it doesn't have handles at all!
But somehow it just works and it's never been a hindrance. It's only fault
is being small enough to get lost just when i need to open a can of sliced
olives.

I will admit to being a believer in rice cookers of the enclosed
variety.

I realize that, as a baker, I should know damn well that all i need is
my oven, a casserole dish, and a clean tea towel. But the machine is just
so easy and flawlessly reliable. Dump in rice and water, maybe a little
butter and salt, plug it in, turn it on, and come back in a half an hour.
It's very hard to beat the cold precision of a well calibrated thermal
switch.

If i had an inclination to make yogurt, I'd do it the way my parents
taught me, in mason jars in a water bath in the oven.