Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default wilton cookie press - is it usable for all types of cookies?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I know that big hunks can't pass through but for certain discs, can one
> get away with a thicker dough with coconut in it?
>
> http://www.wilton.com/recipes/articl....cfm#chocolate
>
> "Can I add chocolate chips, raisins or other decorative items to the
> dough?
> Wilton doesn't recommend adding any large solids to our spritz recipes.
> Large ingredients won't pass through the design openings in the disks."

I doubt it. The issue is that you need to cleanly cut the dough when you
lift the press. If you have strands of coconut, the strands will bridge
from the deposited cookie to the dough in the press. When you pull away,
the surface will be torn and the next cookie will start with strands of
coconut. The whole concept of using a cookie press is to make fancy shapes
with clean details. If you are going to deposit ragged lumps of dough in
distorted shapes, you may as well use a scoop. One possible solution would
be to grind the coconut into very fine particles in the food processor. You
could always feed them to the dog if they turn out wonky.

I have a spritz cookie recipe that uses very finely ground almonds. I would
stick to proven recipes. Using a cookie press can be frustrating even
without pushing the envelope.