Posted to rec.food.baking
Andy Katz

Default Is there a downside to using salt in cake/cupcake batter?

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:49:31 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>There are specific reasons to use salt in yeast-raised bread. Salt retards
>the yeast and it also influences gluten formation. For the latter reason,
>some people knead in the salt after the gluten has been developed rather
>than with the rest of the ingredients.
>
>In other baked products, salt enhances flavor. I sometimes add a pinch of
>salt to recipes that don't include salt in the ingredients list. You have
>to remember that writing cookbooks is an art and a science. Things are left
>out and assumptions are made. That could be the case here. If you use
>salted butter, then more salt may not be necessary. I would make the item
>as specified. If it doesn't seem right, or you just want to experiment, add
>salt to a subsequent batch. Keep notes. A half teaspoon of salt in a cake
>recipe shouldn't cause any problems.

Okay. Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure if there wasn't a
downside to salt using in sweet baked goods, given that its presence
in recipes and formulae is no where near as consistent as in savory
goods.

Andy Katz
Being lied to so billionaires can wage war for profits
while indebting taxpayers for generations to come, now
that's just a tad bit bigger than not admitting you like
the big moist-moist lips of chunky trollops on your pecker.

Paghat, the Rat Girl