Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Derek

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:58:22 GMT, "rick" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>=================
>>>Because fairy-tales don't count.

>> Foraging for wild vegetables and fruits isn't a fairy tale, and
>> it beats your CD-laden so-called grass fed beef and hunted
>> meat every time, so why don't you offer that instead? Look
>> below at the information on foraging, you stupid liar.

>==========================
>Fairy-tales, fool.

People have survived for thousands of years on staple diets
by foraging wild vegetables and fruits. Read the comments
on foraging again (below).

[Many people who live in the countryside already know how
to harvest nature's bounty, food that is available to anyone
who takes the time and trouble to learn about 'wild foods'
that abound in their localities. Much of this knowledge has
been passed down through the generations, and many of the
'wild foods' that made up the staple diets of peoples over the
past 15,000 years or more are still available today ...

Below are a small selection of books about the 'wild foods'
that can be found in the countryside, both in North America,
and overlapping with plants common to parts of northwestern
Europe. In subsequent pages there are books about small-scale
organic food production, survival skills and wilderness living,
along with articles and some step-by-step details about becoming
as 'self-sufficient' as possible in an increasingly uncertain world.
Useful skills for expeditions, exploring, camping trips, and for
those simply wanting to re-learn the 'ancient survival skills' of our
ancestors who survived the cataclysms of the distant past ...
The most seriously committed vegans forage for their own foods,
taking advantage of some of nature's lesser-known but often
intensely flavorful wild bounty. As "Wildman" Steve Brill points
out in The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook, it takes a lot of education
and plenty of experience to identify and make use of the bounty
of the earth's forests and seas. Foragers must learn to distinguish
not only between the toxic and the edible but also must discern
which among the edible plants are actually tasty and worth
harvesting and cooking. Brill offers an encyclopedia of lore and
plenty of identifying botanical data for wild foods, but more
pictures would help sort out these thousands of plants from one
another, especially in the perilous world of fungi identification.
Recipes abound, and they follow vegan principles, using everyday
oils, vinegars, and other basic ingredients.]
http://www.morien-institute.org/wildfoodbooks_us.html

Now that's the least-harm diet, but instead of promoting that you
promote a diet that kills animals instead because you're a meat
pusher. You're busted.

>> So, why do you promote a least-harm diet that includes the
>> deaths of animals when foraging is the better option? Why,
>> to promote meat at any cost, that's why, you dirty meat pusher.

>======================
>I promote a viable, convienent, available for everyone diet

... instead of a diet which IS the least harm diet known to you.
The enquirer *isn't* asking you which diet is the most viable or
convenient; he's asking you which is the least-harm diet.

>unlike you, fool.

You can't beat foraging for wild vegetables and fruits as the
least-harm diet, and that's exactly what I'm offering, so it's
a lie to say I'm not.

>I see you still cannot defend YOUR diet,

There's nothing about my diet that needs defending, so I don't
know why you keep repeating that stupid sentence at every
turn.

>>>===============
>>>I'm not.

>> Yes, you are lying, and the evidence from U.S.D.A. proves
>> that you are. There's no getting away from it.

>======================
>"...All cattle start out eating grass; three-fourths of them are
>"finished" (grown to maturity) in feedlots where they are fed
>specially formulated feed based on corn or other grains..."
>http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...able/index.asp
>
>Styraight from the USDA

Fine. Now go back to the U.S.D.A. and see how it defines
the remainder of that "three fourths of them" which aren't
(allegedly) grain fed: grass fed.

Grass Fed Claims--Background: This claim refers
to the feeding regimen for livestock raised on grass,
green or range pasture, or forage throughout their
life cycle, with only limited supplemental grain
feeding allowed. Since it is necessary to assure the
animal's well being at all times, limited supplementation
is allowed during adverse environmental conditions.
Grass feeding usually results in products containing
lower levels of external and internal fat (including
marbling) than grain-fed livestock products.

Claim and Standard:
[sbull] Grass Fed.--Grass, green or range pasture, or
forage shall be 80% or more of the primary energy
source throughout the animal's life cycle.

Dated: December 20, 2002.
A.J. Yates,
Administrator, Agricultural Marketing Service.
[FR Doc. 02-32806 Filed 12-27-02; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 3410-02-P]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

This standard means that grass fed beef can in fact be
fed up to 80% grains for 60 days in a feedlot, just like
any other steer, and still qualify as grass fed beef.

Comments from disgruntled grass fed beef producers
bear this out and reveal the lie behind grass fed beef;

[Grass Fed Claims; This would appear to be the
most commented upon topic in this docket. We
will not belabor all the points of concern which
are addressed but will focus on the areas of
concern to our cooperative of growers. While
Grain Fed addressed specifically what the method
IS, Grass Fed seems to try to define what it IS
NOT. This dichotomy is confusing. We feel that
you need to define both as what they ARE since
that is what is motivating the consumer.

While the intent of this language would suggest
that Grass Fed animals are not Grain Finished,
especially in Feedlots, the language as written is
not at all clear to that end. In fact by allowing
80% of consumed energy to be concentrated at
the finishing stage, our data suggests that beef
animals could be fed 50% forage /50% grain for
70 days at finishing. Likewise an animal could be
fed 85% grain for 60 days and still qualify under
these guidelines. This is absolutely not in line with
consumer expectations as is borne out in the
website comments.]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/comments/mc213.pdf

[Products that passed an inspection could carry a
“USDA Process Verified” shield next to the label “grass
fed” if as little as 80 percent of the feed were grass, with
no limits on the other 20 percent; “grain fed” could be used
with a diet of as little as 50 percent grain.]
http://tinyurl.com/b63f3

You cannot ignore the fact that customers of grass fed beef
which carries the "USDA Process Verified" shield next to the
label "grass fed" may be buying meat from animals that have
been finished on grains at a feedlot with U.S.D.A.'s full seal of
approval. Ergo, grass fed beef accrues collateral deaths like any
other steer at the feedlot. It's not an alternative to grain fed beef
while being grain fed beef.

>>>============
>>>Can can stop you lys

>> You're barely making sense with your childish drivel. Learn
>> to write, and then you'll stand a better chance in understanding
>> the claims standard issued by U.S.D.A. which clearly shows
>> that so-called grass fed beef is grain fed after all.
>> ==============================

>Learn to read fool

"Can can stop you lys" is not a sentence; it's gibberish. YOU
need to learn to read if you think it's a sentence, and write too.

>>>===============
>>>No

>> Yes, liar. The collateral deaths argument has been debunked
>> by showing that it amounts to nothing more than a dirty little
>> false dilemma.

>=========================
>No

Yes, absolutely, but you're bound to deny it because you deny
everything you don't want to believe, even when shown the
evidence. Take your denial of the collateral deaths associated
with the production of the grass fed beef you claim to eat, for
example.

While cranking on at the vegans as being hypocrites and liars
for allegedly ignoring or refusing to acknowledge the collateral
deaths associated with the production of every morsel of food
they eat, the production of electricity they take advantage of
when using Usenet, and for the production of just about every
consumable item you can think of, why do you refuse to
acknowledge that the production of the beef you claim to eat
causes collateral deaths?

"The production of my beef promotes no CDs. Period."

and

"The production of the beef I eat causes no CDs."
rick etter Nov 15 2003 http://tinyurl.com/cpdy7

You're the only ****wit on these forums who still refuses
to acknowledge the collateral deaths associated with the
production of a food item, yet you're always the first to
criticise vegans for allegedly refusing to acknowledge
the collateral deaths associated with the food items they
eat, even after they've declared that they acknowledge
them. You're a rank hypocrite and a liar, living in denial.

>>>=========
>>>Nope.

>> Then you're more dense than I originally believed, if that's
>> possible. You can't escape the fact that your argument
>> poses a false dilemma, even by feigning ignorance, so get
>> used to that fact and try something else to get vegans to
>> eat meat instead if you can, you dirty meat pusher.

>You know all about ignorance fool.

A typical non-response, always expected when you've been
beaten into the ground.

>> I knew you'd fail to address those examples, you dirty liar.

>The 'examples' like your argument are bogus fool.

No, they're valid examples which show by analogy how the
collateral deaths argument poses a false dilemma and is
rejected.